I'm a recent returnee from overseas who is wandering through life right now trying to figure out where to put my next footstep on this thing called life.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Twin Mother

Picture this scene. You've just finished a wonderful holiday, but returned to work, and you have to deal with a number of instances of misuse of vehicles over the holiday. You've already dealt with one employee and they've actually responded positively, accepted the warning letter, and made an apology. So now, you're feeling like you've hit a groove and call in the next employee to discuss the matter with him.

Suddenly it all turns wrong. As you explain to the employee that you will have to issue him a warning letter and add it to his file he starts to grow increasingly frustrated with the situation. You now have to listen patiently to all of his excuses as to why he feels justified in taking the motorcycle. "No credit on my phone," he says. "Been waiting for a taxi for hours", he claims. They are all possibly good reasons in his mind, but none excuse the fact that he took the motorbike.

After 20 minutes of discussion, it comes down to you finally saying, "You know, you're putting me in a difficult position, because if I excuse you from this then I have to excuse everyone else who has in their mind a good reason for using property without permission".

Suddenly, your 40 something year old Security officer breaks into a Liberian illustration, "You know Melissa, I understand. You are like a twin mother to us here. You cannot lie on your left. You cannot lie on your right, but you have to lie on your back". He begins to act out the analogy in the seat across from yours.

At this point, your left wondering, "Where is this man going to go with this story?" You continue to patiently listen.

It gets weirder as he now is cupping himself as if he has breasts and says, "You have to try to feed both babies at the same time". Yes, he is cupping himself!

You're left there, staring at this man, trying not to register any facial expression that reveals your complete confusion and utter disbelief as to what is happening right before your eyes. You're only solution is to quickly wrap it up and you end the discussion slightly more confused and definitely more violated than when you began.

If anyone gets the illustration, please let me know...I'm still confused.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

LOL! Actually, it makes sense. You are seen as an authority figure, but one that is trusted- like a mother. You are torn between two "babies"- your job and the staff who you are responsible for. In the image, each of these are on opposite sides of the bed. You cannot win. If you feed one, the other cries. Sure, it could be creepy to listen through, but sounds like a working analogy!

Peace,
Jamie

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Mel Giles said...

yeah, I sorta get the analogy...maybe it was more shock of what I was forced to hear, and more importantly see that got me confused. I wish I had a way to record some of these things so that I could replay them and share them with others.

Thanks for reading,
Melissa

11:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I knew you got (as of our conversation before), but I thought I would try to make it... easier to swallow. Sorry my teasing semi-sarcasm didn't ring through (wink)! I think you should record these conversations. Classic!

Peace,
Jamie

6:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Meliss
We are enjoying the blogging you have been doing, and I have passed your web site on to a few friends who would enjoy it too, so please keep it up!
Stacey Fuhrer (Jolicoeur)

12:02 PM

 
Blogger Mel Giles said...

I only wish sarcasm was as easy to read for me on paper as it is for me to pick up in person. I'm better at it in real life.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Mel Giles said...

Stacey, Thanks for keeping up with my little insights into life over here. I'm trying to get better at posting and glad that you're passing the blog on to others to enjoy.

1:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home