I'm a recent returnee from overseas who is wandering through life right now trying to figure out where to put my next footstep on this thing called life.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Devastating Past

For all of you reading this new posting, thanks for switching over. I was finding Xanga not to be what I had hoped and so I decided to switch. Part of the problem was that I was paying for their premium package, but I wasn't able to upload photos. Our connection here is not good enough that I can get them uploaded. So, I've decided to post on a new blogsite. Hopefully you've all found me and will continue to read about my adventures.

Anyways, new topic...the conflict in Liberia is obviously what has brought most of us here to work. For 14 years, 1989-2003, Liberia was in the middle of a war that resulted in 1/3 of their population either displaced, or killed. Many Liberians were forced into Internally Displaced Persons camps (IDP), many found refuge in Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire or Sierra Leone, and many others faced death. The UN spent over a year disarming combatants, and in the end statistics state that over 100, 000 were disarmed. For a country of only 3 million these are dramatic statics.

Many of you probably wonder what the feel is in Liberia at this time. I know that before I left many of you were concerned about the security situation here. For those staff who have been here for over a year they say the changes are dramatic. They have mentioned to me that they can already see an improvement in the road and building conditions, and that there is generally a more "safe" feeling. I believe, that Liberia has the largest UN presence in the world, and there are still many roadblocks set up around the country. However; I would say that I feel safe in the country. There is petty crime, and you do need to be aware of your surroundings, but I don't walk around feeling unsafe.

While I'm arriving a couple of years after the end of the conflict, it is amazing to still see signs of the fighting that took place. The other day, as I crossed one of the two bridges in Monrovia, I was really surprised to observe the lamposts that line the bridge filled with bullet holes. This area of the city was the stage for the last bit of fighting, and where they eventually captured Charles Taylor. The buildings around the area have patch work and you can see where they have covered bullet holes and mortar holes.

Overall, the new government is really trying to rebuild and rehabilitate within the county. A lot of our project activity will be assisting people as they return home, and as they try to re-establish their lives. It's an exciting time to be here, and also a huge challenge. The staff here are doing an amazing job and from what I've observed the rural communities are motivated to rebuild their lives. As I continue to discover new things and see the progress that's being made, I'll be sure to keep you updated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Melissa,

Great new site. You might want to take some time to use some tutorials, as you can do some fun things with this blog, such as a map that tracks the global location of your visitors (see ClustrMaps.com)

Also, you limit comments to those who have Blogger accounts. Open it to all comments, but use word verification. Also, you posted your last post twice.

You'll get the hang of it. I look forward to reading more!

Peace,
Jamie Arpin-Ricci
www.emergentvoyageurs.blog.com

1:33 PM

 
Blogger Mel Giles said...

Thanks Jamie, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Part of the problem is getting a connection long enough to do anything of substance to the page. But, I'll keep trying. Thanks for reading.

4:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home